Home workouts are a great way to stay in shape with none of the hassles of the gym. It doesn’t get more convenient than simply walking to the next room any time, any day, to complete your sweat session – and you can blast your music or the TV if you like. Even better, there’s no waiting in line for your favorite piece of equipment!
To help maximize your motivation, adherence and results, outfit your home gym with a variety of equipment. You don’t have to break the bank, but seek to maintain least one durable cardio piece, along with strength training tools such as dumbbells, a barbell or two, resistance tubing, a stability ball, a bench and a mat. If you have more space and resources, invest in another versatile cardio machine to add extra variety and challenge.
If you’re not sure what to buy, consider elliptical machines. They are typically less expensive and easier to maintain than treadmills, and they work the entire body, rather than treadmills, stationary bikes and steppers that work only the legs. Ellipticals deliver weight-bearing activity, but it’s low-impact, so you’re not subject to jarring or pounding. And most ellipticals are quiet, which is a bonus when you’re exercising at home.
Note that it’s smarter to pay a bit more for fitness equipment, and resist buying the least expensive machines, which typically won’t feel good or last long. You are ultimately investing in your health, so don’t scrimp; as it’s likely that you’ll regret it.
The most popular home elliptical is the Octane Fitness Q37, which is available online at www.octanefitness.com and at specialty fitness retailers worldwide. Named one of Oprah’s Favorite Things in 2012, it’s a premium machine (comes in Q37x and Q37xi models), but doesn’t have every bell and whistle, so it’s more practical and affordable for many home exercisers.
A low step-up height, close pedal spacing and smooth, ergonomically correct motion add comfort and minimize stress to the body, and a low pivot point on the handlebars ensures greater range of motion for more effective upper-body workouts. With a 20.5-inch stride length and 20 resistance levels, the Q37 accommodates all levels of exercisers, so others in your house can get fueled as well.
Here are some of the standout features of this multiple award-winning elliptical:
- Workout Boosters – Add high-intensity interval training instantly to any routine with these exclusive Octane programs, which include X-Mode, GluteKicker and ArmBlaster to enhance cross training and variety.
- CROSS CiRCUIT – Only available from Octane Fitness, this powerful program combines cardio intervals on the elliptical with strength-training exercises for the ultimate in efficiency and total-body conditioning. Use Octane’s Powerbands, dumbbells, body weight and more to stimulate results.
- Program variety – Take advantage of 8-10 pre-programmed workouts, including goal regimens like 350 calories, 750 calories, 10K and half-marathon, to challenge yourself.
- SmartLight – Get instant feedback on how hard you’re working, if you’re in your target heart rate zone and when to prepare for the next interval in a Workout Booster or CROSS CiRCUIT routine.
- MultiGrip and Converging Path handlebars – This signature Octane design helps keep your upper-body working hard so you benefit even more. Plus, digital contact heart rate sensors on the stationary handlebars facilitate immediate intensity checks.