Skip to content

diet plans


As you know, tons of diet plans exist, all with their own individual recommendations on how to best lose weight. Some diet plans are nutritionally sound and safe, while others are potentially unsafe or unsustainable with unhealthy recommendations.



A universal truth about most diet plans is that they can leave followers feeling unsatisfied or deprived, which makes the regimens difficult to consistently follow, and therefore, challenging to achieve success. What can help in terms of compliance, perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively, is allowing a cheat meal periodically, according to Medical Daily.

Note that a cheat meal is not a cheat day. Nutrition experts recommend that diet plans should follow the 90/10 rule in which 90 percent is health food and the remaining 10 percent can be cheat meals. A cheat day can sabotage your weight loss success; whereas a cheat meal can help you stay motivated to continue on your diet plan. In other words, you may be more likely to stick to your high-protein, low-carb plan (or whatever diet you are following) for six days each week if you know you can have some french fries or a brownie during your cheat meal.

In addition, constant caloric deprivation can lower metabolism and cause energy levels to drop; but a cheat meal, which typically has more calories, can help the body maintain energy.

And remember that you still need to demonstrate some moderation and compromise for a cheat meal, or your weight loss may be hindered. Don’t let loose and scarf down an entire pizza, for instance, but instead enjoy a slice or two with a side salad and perhaps a small dessert. Don’t eat so fast that you don’t really savor the meal, either. Sit at a table, use utensils, eat slowly and treasure each bite.

Diet plans are designed to help you lose weight via caloric deprivation. But you can overcome cravings and stay on track with the help of some strategic cheat meals from time to time.